The Magic of Prints, Paper & Book Making
Tutor: Susan Fateh
Date and Time: Saturdays 9am -1pm 4 week block from 30th April - 21st May 2016
Cost: £180 per person (includes all materials)
This course is open to anyone, but will focus mainly on an introductory level overview and students will be introduced to:
Basics of printing with a press, including:
• Plate making
• Inking methods
• Paper preparation
• Press set-up
• Multiple and single colour printing
• Print drying techniques
Western Hand Paper-making
introduction of basics: materials, terms, definition, properties/sources of
• Varying fibres
• Single and multi-sheet formation, embedding/embossing, colouration and drying methods
• Sculptural elements/considerations
Making a Book
The course will conclude with combining selections of what we have made throughout the earlier sessions so that each participant can create his/her own one-of-a-kind Artist’s Book.
About Susan Fateh
- BA Honours in Illustration & Printmaking from Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art, Dundee.
- One year of viscosity printmaking at Staney William Hayter’s Atelier 17, Paris.
- MA (Scholarship) from New York University in printmaking and metal sculpture.
- WSW/Binnewater Arts Centre in New York State, learned hand paper-making.
Susan Fateh has worked intensively in many areas of printmaking. For 15 years, she made her home in New York City/State and Brooklyn, before moving to Italy to raise her son. First employed in the USA by WSW, and where she had learned the craft, she became the organisation’s main hand papermaker for a time before moving into the city. She subsequently taught printmaking workshops at WSW, The Lower East Side Print Shop and Parson’s School of Design as well as hand papermaking in Jordan, Trinidad and Italy. Over the past 12 years, she has developed and coordinated overseas workshops for WSW, offering printmaking courses in such evocative locations as a Tuscan castle, a Scottish lighthouse and an artists’ enclave near Marrakech. Her own works are in many private and public collections.